To create foam walls means to provide thermal insulation for the house quickly and effectively. Modern manufacturers allow you to use both ready-made foam panels and spray foam insulation from a special spray gun or balloon on the surface. In this article we will talk about how much does spray foam insulation cost.
Yes, we understand that it is the difficult task to determine a clear price for your home, but we can provide you with some factors that can help you to calculate an approximate price for your case.
So let’s consider the main pros and cons of the methods, what types of spray foam insulation materials are used for this today, on which surfaces and how they can be applied, as well as how to use these technologies in practice.
How much does spray foam insulation cost?
It is necessary to remember that this insulation costs between $.25 and $3 per board foot – a one-inch thick layer of foam in a one-square-foot area.
What affects the formation of spray foam costs?
Of course, the used insulation type is the main factor you should take into account while calculating the price.
Then pay attention to the following minor but important factors that affect what the final price will be for the purchasing and installing spray foam insulation.
– how much material is used
– open-cell or closed-cell insulation is used
– the amount of work that will need to be done
– time spent doing work
– the list of additional expenses
Generally speaking, be prepared to spend from 2500 to 3500/4000 dollars if you want to install such insulation in your home. These prices are set based on how much money other homeowners usually spend.
While cost of spray foam insulation is much higher compared to others (the most popular fiberglass insulation, for example), be aware that this type of insulation will give you a lot of advantages, which we will talk about later in the article.
How much does it cost to install spray foam insulation?
If you want to perform spray foam installation manually you will probably need much more money to perform this action. First of all, you will need the special equipment that costs a lot. Then it is necessary to be informed about some safety regulations and chemical knowledge to mix the two main components of spray foam insulation correctly.
How much does spray foam insulation cost? Calculate pricing
Obviously, energy-efficient insulation spray foam cost per square foot is much higher than the cost of traditional fiberglass insulation, but you can not imagine how many benefits you will get by installing this insulation type.
So let’s not linger and move on to the most interesting and important thing – the calculation of expenses.
The 1st stage – Determining used spray foam type and its amount
As you can see, now only two types of spray foam insulation existing.
The first option you can choose is open cell spray foam. But remember that this type should be used for rooflines, attic floors, exterior walls, soundproofing.
The second option you can choose is closed cell spray foam. And this type should be used for crawl spaces, basements.
Now let`s consider the cost of the spray foam insulation types.
– For the open cell type you will spend from $0.75 to $1.25 per board foot.
– For the closed cell type you will spend from $1.50 per board foot to $2.25.
It is obvious that two types of the same material differ greatly in the average cost. But there is a reason for this because it is not unreasonable that prices vary so much. Let’s look at both open cell foam type and closed cell type separately in detail below.
Note the R-value per inch of each type of foam, and where you’ll be applying it. Also, the used amount is key.
The 2nd stage – Calculate board footage
For calculating spray polyurethane foam which is 12” wide x 12” long x 1” thick use our simple formulas.
First, determine the square footage of that place where you want to install the insulation. Then use the formula – sq. ft. x depth in inches = board feet.
The 3rd stage – Board Feet x Price Per Board Foot
Then multiply the open cell or closed cell spray foam insulation cost per board foot on the board footage.
After all these actions have been performed consider prices for services provided by professionals.
How to calculate spray foam insulation costs
To calculate spray foam insulation costs use the detailed instruction that we described above. Briefly, all you need is to choose the open cell or closed cell material and its amount (foam thickness), determine your board footage, and multiply it to the price for the insulation per board foot. Do not forget about the money you will have to pay for services provided by professionals.
Open-cell vs.closed-cell spray foam insulation
As you can see, now only two types of spray foam insulation exist. There are – the first option is open cell spray foam and the second option is closed cell – foam insulation types.
The first type costs $0.75 to $1.25 and the second costs from $1.50 per board foot to $2.25.
As you see, the average cost of the open cell foam type is much cheaper than the cost of the closed cell type. There are some differences between these two materials and we will consider them in detail below but usually, people choose one or the other based on personal preferences and, of course, budget.
Where you install the spray foam insulation
Construction foam is a universal purpose insulation. However, due to some differences in the properties of different formulations, it is better to use a specific variety in one case or another. To do this, there are the following recommendations:
Sealing cracks, defects, cavities during the installation of windows and doors is carried out with spray polyurethane foam insulation. At the same time, the frozen material must be protected from direct sunlight.
Filling of a large inter-wall volume of frame structures is carried out with the help of foam resin. It is used both from the outside and from the inside to form a warming seal in the walls and floors between the sheeting sheets.
The elimination of small-sized irregularities, cracks, seams, cavities is done by means of mounting foam. For example, when installing solid insulation panels, arranging the foundation, installing windows.
Polyurethane liquid foam for insulation of walls, attics, roofs, basements creates reliable protection with good waterproofing performance. Spraying is carried out from special equipment. However, if the volume of similar work is small, then it is quite acceptable to use mounting foam from cylinders.
For those places where it is constantly very humid, use moisture-resistant closed-cell foam. Consult with your insulation contractor about this issue. He will provide you with the best option for your attic, roof deck, HVAC system, or all of the above.
Pros and cons of spray polyurethane foam
Before deciding on using spray foam insulation for your house, you need to consider all the advantages and disadvantages of the method. Due to the release of gases during the curing process, some manufacturers recommend leaving the premises within 24 hours of installation.
Spray foam insulation pros
Among the pros, there are the following advantages:
– High application speed, the ability to process a large surface in one approach.
– High resistance of the material to biological factors of influence – insects, mold, fungi, putrefactive bacteria.
– Insulation with foam under pressure from a special sprayer (spray polyurethane foam) allows you to fill all the smallest wall cavities, crawl spaces and create a seamless coating with a high thermal insulation index.
– In the solidified form, the foamed composition has a very low specific gravity and therefore does not increase the load on the supporting structures of the building.
– The application technology eliminates the use of special fasteners – it simply sticks when sprayed onto the surface.
– The compounds in the frozen foam are completely safe and non-toxic.
– Simple installation procedure.
– Increasing the sound insulation of the insulated surface.
– The contact of foam with pipes, frame elements, roof sheets, and other metal products does not cause a reaction of the destruction of the latter, but on the contrary, creates effective anti-corrosion protection.
– The material is difficult to ignite, does not support active Gorenje.
– By using spray polyurethane foam you improve the house energy efficiency.
– If enough amount of closed-cell spray foam is applied you can create a vapor barrier as well with it (with thicker insulation).
– Energy savings = Energy bills reducing.
Energy efficiency is critical for homes in cold climates. Heating accounts for about 42 percent of utility bills, according to the Department of Energy. Spray foam insulation, especially closed-cell foam, maximizes what space-constrained homes need to insulate, with such an impressive R-value.
Spray foam insulation cons
But it is necessary to take into account some disadvantages:
– The final cost of spray foam insulation measures is at least 2 times more expensive per square foot than using traditional insulation.
– Destruction of the structure during prolonged contact with water, high humidity in the air and from exposure to direct sunlight.
– Insulation of the roof with foam, as well as walls, and any other surface of a large area, will require the use of high-performance equipment, which implies additional costs.
– The spraying worker must wear an individual chemical protection suit.
– It is very difficult for an ordinary homeowner to apply spray polyurethane foam on his own.
Foam is one of the modern insulation materials that allow you to quickly and reliably insulate the house without additional costs. However, one of the significant disadvantages of the foamed surface is a violation of vapor permeability. Therefore, both inside the building itself and in the insulated elements, it is necessary to provide in advance an effective ventilation system and vents.
Is spray foam insulation worth it?
Yes, we tend to say Yes instead of No, because this type of insulation will provide you with many benefits, and the most important of them will be that you will save a lot of money due to the fact that the energy bills will decrease. The biggest disadvantage is that you will have to spend more money not only on the material but on the spray foam insulation installation as well. Probably, you will need to hire a professional.
So it`s time to sum up.
Insulation of the house with foam insulation spray has the following advantages:
No load on the structure.
Seamless and hermetic filling of cavities.
Creation of anticorrosive protection for metal elements.
A simple application procedure.
Insulation project disadvantages – high cost, the need to use a protective kit during spraying.
The main field of application is sealing cracks, cavities, filling the walls of frames, insulation of roofs, basements, floors, facades. Thermal insulation can be done independently according to the instructions, but it is better to entrust the procedure to professionals.