There are many various species of wild mice, but one of them has the name of the house mouse. The name was chosen since they like to make their nests in houses, especially in walls or attics. The population of mice in the attic can grow really fast.
Grown-up house mice obtain a dusty grey color and cream-colored bellies. Their size differs from 2.5 to 3.75 inches in length. Although their appearance is hardly noticeable, they are widely known for their adaptability and endurability as well as a high speed of breeding.
One female mouse of this species can bore up to thirty-five babies every year.
This article will show you what mice in the attic sounds can be, how to get mice out of your attic, and many other essential things that a homeowner should know if they want to understand how to get rid of mice in the attic.
Why Mice Enjoy Living In Attics
There are several reasons why mice can come to your home and organize their places of living.
- The attic is one of the most convenient places for them since it’s usually the first area they get in
- These rodents wish to have food sources nearby, and it’s easy for them to find some food going down from the attic;
- The attic is one of the warmest areas in any house, which is perfect for mice;
- Usually, people store a lot of stuff in the attic, including boxes. Mice are rather timid creatures and enjoy hiding in some safe spots;
- People and home pets don’t often come to the attic, so these rodents can feel safe there;
- Insulation is liked by house mice since they can use the material to create their nests and make safe tunnels and pathways in it as well.
Why Mice In Your House Can Be Dangerous
Mice living in your house can be not only unpleasant but also dangerous. First of all they spread bacteria and various diseases through contaminated food.
In addition to this, particles of their urine and excrement become airborne and result in allergy symptoms and even asthma.
Moreover, all parts of your house receive a lot of dirt produced by these animals.
Home mice can also be carriers of other pests such as ticks, fleas, lice or mites, which bring diseases and bacteria as well.
If you have a thought that there may be mice in your attic or your walls, you can try and search for such signs as urine staining, mice droppings and damages of food packages.
In addition to this be careful and if you or your relative notice some signs of illnesses connected with these rodents, the ill person should immediately ask for medical help.
How To Prevent Mice Appearance In Your House
If you don’t have mice in the attic or the walls, you may wish to prevent their appearance in the house. The steps are the following:
- Since these animals can fit into any smallest space, first of all, you have to seal all the cracks and gaps which can be used by mice as the entrance to your house. Such entrances can be eliminated by door sweeps on exterior doors, repaired screens and screens on vents as well as openings to your chimneys and many other types of holes. Mice in walls can’t be noticed, but with this step, you will reduce the chances of rodents getting there;
- Another important thing which you can do to prevent mice from coming to your house is eliminating water and food which can attract rodents. Try to keep food in special containers, dispose of your trash more often, don’t clutter your stuff in closets and garages. You should make sure that all the farthest places of your house are dry and ventilated well. In addition to this, store your firewood away from your house and look after your plants and trees in the garden.
If you manage to do everything that we have mentioned above, you have made lower the possibility of mice’s appearance.
What Will Help You To Make Sure That There Are Mice In Your Attic
Of course, there are several signs which will tell you that there are these rodents in your house.
The first thing that you will notice is their waste. You can find small droppings in your attic or near food storage in your kitchen. You also may notice a specific smell of ammonia, which is given off by mice’s urine.
Since house mice usually go through one path each time when they travel around your house, you can notice such things as their footprints, droppings, and trails of rub marks in such spots.
Moreover, mice tend to leave such things as gnaw marks, which can be smooth or rough.
They also like to use different materials such as paper, cardboard or even insulation in the construction of their nests.
Mice in the attic are usually not very quiet. Since they are nocturnal animals, they usually search for food at night. They produce a wide range of noises in the attic, such as screaming, scrambling, bumping, thumping, and squeaking as well.
VIDEO: Mice In The Attic
This video is about how to do you step-by-step control your house from mice and prevent their coming back.
How To Get Rid of Mice In Walls and Attics
If you want to eliminate mice’s presence in your house by yourself, you can follow the steps described below:
- Of course, you have asked yourself a question, “How do mice get in your attic?” We think that you have to seal all the holes, gaps, and cracks through which mice can get to your house or leave it. Many professionals recommend checking all the places where the pipes, cables, vents, and other things go through your walls. It’s better to use materials that cannot be chewed by mice and other rodents. You should also check the places where mice can go through from the outside of the house;
- Another important thing is to trim all your shrubs and trees around the house so that mice can’t use the branches to get to your attic;
- After that, you are free to choose a particular kind of trap and put them in all the areas where these rodents have been noticed. We won’t describe how to kill mice in walls and in the attic since you may not want to kill them at all and want to use a more humane method;
- When you catch all the mice living in your house, you get rid of them and do all the necessary cleaning work.
- Run the cat in the attic.
If you have an opinion that house mice are living in your house but you are afraid of them and don’t know how to get rid of mice in the walls yourself, the best solution is to call for professional services.
Pest control specialists who obtain a particular license have enough experience in dealing with mice or any other rodents invading your house. They are trained to know how to get rid of mice in the attic or any other place in your house.
Mice in the attic don’t happen to be good neighbors, so we hope that this article will help you to learn the needed things about mice and how to get rid of mice in walls and in the attic.